Vetsulin (porcine insulin zinc suspension) is the only FDA-approved veterinary product for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in both dogs and cats. Vetsulin is indicated for the reduction of hyperglycemia(elevated blood sugar) and hyperglycemia-associated clinical signs in dogs and cats with diabetes mellitus. Vetsulin is supplied as a sterile injectable porcine insulin zinc suspension. Vetsulin needs to be refrigerated and is only available by prescription from your veterinarian.
Manufacturer: Intervet/ Schering Plough Animal Health
Extra Information: Insulin is a hormone naturally produced by the pancreas. Insulin enables the body to use the sugar in food as a source of energy. When the body does not produce enough insulin, or when the insulin produced by the body is not effective enough, this condition is called diabetes mellitus. This condition allows sugar levels in the body to become very high. Vetsulin is Purified porcine (pork) insulin zinc suspension that can help to reduce high blood sugar(hyperglycemia) and manage related symptoms.
Dosing and Administration: Suggested initial dosing by the manufacturer is as follows:
0.5 IU insulin/kg of body weight. This dose should be given once daily concurrently with or right after a meal. Veterinarians should reevaluate canine patients at appropriate intervals and adjust the dose based on clinical signs, urinalysis results, and glucose curve values until adequate control has been attained.
For cats, the initial recommended dose of Vetsulin (porcine insulin zinc suspension) is 1 to 2 IU per injection twice daily. In cats, initially administer twice-daily doses 12 hours apart concurrently with or right after meals. Reevaluate the cat at appropriate intervals and adjust the dose based on clinical signs, urinalysis results, and glucose curve/spot check values until adequate control has been attained.
However, proper Vetsulin dosing for your individual pet can only be determined by your veterinarian.
Vetsulin is given using a U-40 syringe only. Use of a syringe other than a U-40 syringe will result in incorrect dosing. Vetsulin is administered by subcutaneous(under the skin) injection. Proper technique can be taught by your veterinarian. Vetsulin should not be shaken. Just prior to use, the vial should be mixed by rolling the vial between the palms of your hands 10 times. Do not reuse a syringe. Dispose of all syringes in an appropriate puncture-resistant disposal container. Vetsulin should be stored in an upright position under refrigeration. Do not freeze, Protect from light. Keep this medication out of the reach of children and pets.
If any amount of Vetsulin is given other than what is prescribed or if you miss a dose, contact your veterinarian for further instructions.
1. Only FDA-approved veterinary product for the treatment of diabetes mellitus in dogs and cats
2. Vetsulin is classified as an intermediate-acting insulin (Lente Insulin)
3. Unlike human insulin, porcine insulin has the same amino acid sequence as canine insulin, making it less likely for insulin resistance to develop.
4. Easy to administer by subcutaneous(under the skin) injection once proper technique is taught.
5. Hypoglycemia(low blood sugar) is a possible side effect with treatment of vetsulin so careful monitoring of bloodwork and patient is important and should be supervised carefully by your veterinarian.
Possible Drug Interactions: Vetsulin was not proven to be harmful when given with most medications in studies performed by the manufacturer. However, Progestogen (such as megestrol) and glucocorticoids (such as cortisone, prednisone, dexamethasone, triamcinolone) should be avoided during Vetsulin therapy. Always discuss any other prescription or over the counter medications, including vitamins, minerals and herbal products with your veterinarian to ensure that they can be given safely with Vetsulin.
Precautions: Dogs and Cats known to have a systemic allergy to pork or pork products should not be treated with vetsulin. Vetsulin is contraindicated during periods of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
Possible Side Effects:
1. Rarely, allergic reactions to insulin can occur. Symptoms of this include swelling of the face/feet, hives, and trouble breathing. If any signs of allergic reaction occur, stop treatment and contact your veterinarian for further instructions.
2. The most common insulin-related side effect is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Symptoms of hypoglycemia include lethargy, staggering gait, seizure or coma. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet is experiencing any of these symptoms once Vetsulin therapy has been initiated
3. Other side effects can occur. If your pet is acting unusual in any way once therapy has begun, contact your veterinarian immediately.
A prescription from your veterinarian is required to purchase Vetsulin.
A trusted source for comprehensive animal health
Merck Animal Health is a global, research-driven company that develops, manufactures and markets abroad range of veterinary medicines and services. We offer one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios, spanning products for the prevention, treatment and control of disease in all major farm and companion animal species.
We are a highly proactive, robust and diversified company with a strong, scientifically-proven, product portfolio and an ever-growing global reach.
With offices in more than 50 countries, we successfully market our products in over 140 countries and operate a network of manufacturing sites and research and development (R&D) facilities around the world.
Our aim is to create value and contribute to the ongoing success of our customers. In short, we aim to earn the trust of our customers every day. By listening carefully to all our stakeholders and putting customer satisfaction at the core of our business, we provide innovative, high-quality, and above all, solutions-driven products and services for farm and companion animal species.
By consistently delivering the highest standards of quality, professionalism and integrity, our aim is to become the partner of choice for veterinarians, producers and animal owners.
Our products and services enable pets and people to enjoy their time together and will help keep livestock healthy to ensure a safe, wholesome and affordable food supply.